Friday, March 4, 2016

Big Grandma and Big Grandpa

My Grandpa was admitted to the hospital last Wednesday with Pneumonia.  After 24 hours, he wasn't improving or responding to treatment so he was admitted to the ICU, intubated, and sedated.  That night we were all very worried, the doctors were clear that he only had about a 25% chance of recovery.  But by mid-morning on Friday, he became responsive and started to improve, thank Heaven!  We went up to visit him that night, but Brad and I had to take turns going in to visit with him because children aren't allowed in the ICU.  I was so glad to see was much better than I had expected.  He was still intubated, but alert and communicating by writing on a white board.  I only teared up for a second when he wrote "You are still my favorite". I'm sure he tells each of us that, but I really like to think that I am his favorite.  The very next day they were able to remove the tubes and take him out of the ICU back to a normal room, which was such a surprise to his doctors!
Sunday was Grandma's birthday, so we drove up after church for cake and ice cream.
Then we were back on Thursday to visit Grandpa again, this time we could all go in.  A week in the hospital is no fun, but we're glad he's recovering so well.
 Mimi and Papa came to town to help Grandma and surprised Avery with a fairy garden... and it is the. cutest. thing. ever!
Grandparents are the best!

No comments: