Thursday, December 17, 2015

Good thing tomorrow is a "do-over"

I'm not that pleasant by the end of the day.  It's really something I'm trying to improve, but after homework and dinner I feel run down and done with the day.  I hate to admit it, but I'm a little done with the kids and ready for bedtime most days.
I had just finished reading with Jack and Avery and Tess and got the girls settled when Wesley walked in the door from basketball practice.  He immediately asked for cookies for dessert, but I was on my way down to check on Jack so I hurried past him telling him to eat quickly.  Ten minutes later I came back upstairs and he asked me again if he could have cookies for dessert.  "What?!  You haven't had them yet?  Why are you wasting time?  Eat them and get in bed!"  I think that's pretty much how it went, then I walked out of the room to gather laundry and switch loads.
He came to say goodnight a few minutes later and I noticed the tears in his eyes.  Luckily, this time I slowed down. I sat down with him and apologized for getting upset, but he surprised me by saying he was upset with himself... he felt like he was annoying.  He said sometimes when he talks he thinks people look annoyed.  And all I could imagine was what my face might have looked like fifteen minutes before.  My heart broke.  I had done this.  I had made him feel insecure instead of confident. He of course didn't blame me, but I knew it.  We had a good conversation and I, between many apologies, reassured him that he was the most liked kid I knew, loved by many, friends with everyone and self'-confident.  In fact, his confidence is one of the things we love most about him (and the rest of our kids).  I hate that I let my tired, grumpy, hurried self dampen his spirit for even a minute.  How dare I?
So, it's a good thing we start fresh again tomorrow.  I have so much to improve on, especially in the parenting department.  Someday I just hope my kids know as flawed as I am, I tried, I improved, I love them fiercely, and care deeply.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

And thank goodness these sweet children are so quick to forget and forgive. You are an amazing mother! We all have those days.

Emily Nutz O'Neal said...

Kendyll! My face is perma-grump all the time! This was such a good reminder to sweeten my demeanor.