Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Cavaties... Ughh

Two months ago, our pediatric dentist found two cavaties in Wesley's molars. Bummer, right?  To make it even worse Wesley is terrified at the Dentist's office, I mean even the cleaning is a nightmare.  So it was decided he would need to be sedated for the fillings to get done.  Brad and I really did't like the thought of "putting him out", but what else could we do?  Lucky for us, one of our great friends is a dentist and offered to do the job.  I would have gone to him before but his office is not especially close and I liked the idea of a pediatric office for the kids (not that it helped), blah blah blah.  Anyway, we are super comfortable with Matt and felt better trusting him with our child.  It's sounds silly, but we get a little nervous as parents sometimes do.
So today was the big day, and I wish you could see some of the video, it's hilarious.  
The pictures seem to tell a sadder story... 
 Two seconds earlier the anesthesiologist was pulling the IV from his arm, you know I hate IVs.  He was sedated first with just a shot, but he was jerking around a bit so he was given medication through the IV.  I loved the anesthesiologist though, she sat with him through the whole procedure listening to his breathing. 

He was out for quite a while.  After a half an hour he started to wake up, but the poor kid couldn't hold his head up for almost another 45 minutes.
When he began to talk he just kept saying "are we done?" or "I want to go home", but it was super slow and slurred.  I did laugh when he said "is this my dream or is this real?", practically verbatim to that kid on youtube!  Luckily there was no screaming.
By the time we got home, he just seamed drowsy and slow.  He still couldn't walk well for another hour.  And at one point he asked what was making him feel funny. 
Oh Wesley, hopefully there won't be more cavaties anytime soon.

2 comments:

Shaylyn said...

Poor Wesley!!! Hopefully there are no more cavaties for a very long time!

The McNeil Family said...

Poor guy!! Dentist offices are no fun! I hope he doesn't have to do this again