July 3rd
10:50 am
6 lbs. 1 oz.
18.5 inches
For journaling purposes and because in a year from now I might not remember it all, here is Tess' birth story...
I've had a pretty easy pregnancy, but getting through the last few weeks is always tough. I think my grandma nailed it when she said "every day feels four days long." It's true. I went into labor on my own with Wesley and Jack, but was induced a week early with Avery (just because of timing). All of my labors went well, but I preferred the excitement of going into labor on my own. So I hoped that would happen again and at the same time hoped it would happen soon. I made sure my doctor was willing to induce me on my due date. At my last appt., at 39 weeks, I started to schedule a 40 week induction but the hospital was already booked! They could fit me in the day after, on Tuesday the 9th, but the thought of waiting even one more day past my due date made me want to cry. On top of which my doctor was going hiking with the scouts on the Friday and Saturday before my due date so he wouldn't be there if I went into labor. With the Fourth of July on Thursday, we settled on Wednesday the Third... only two days away! I was just a little sad I probably wouldn't be going into labor on my own, but soooo happy I wouldn't have to wait much longer.
We arrived at the hospital at 7:30am on Wednesday morning. At 8am Dr. Larsen came in to break my water and start the Pitocin. Within 20 minutes I had contractions coming every two minutes! By 9:30 I was ready to ask for an epidural but that seemed so whimpy seeing as how the nurse just checked me and I was only dilated to 3cm. Brad talked me into it and the anesthesiologist was there in just a few minutes, too bad he had to put it in twice! I did feel the medicine numbing me from my toes into my legs, but the problem was it never reached the pain in my belly. The contractions were clearly getting worse and I wasn't receiving any relief. After shedding a few tears the anesthesiologist came back in at 10:35 to give me a shot of meds directly into my back, I think it was a spinal block. He said in about 10 minutes it would take effect and I would be completely numb. While waiting for it to kick in the nurse checked me again and I was fully dilated! So, really I was just numbed up in time to push... great. Before I knew it, Dr. Larsen was back in the room. I did my best to go through the motions of pushing (even though I really couldn't feel anything) and one push later she was out! Of course it only took one push because she was so teeny!
She's perfect. Perfectly pink and healthy, alert and content.
Besides a small scare, when she choked during the first time I nursed her, we've been doing really well. I was finally able to feel my body again after 6 hours. :) And my recovery has been better than with any of my other kids.
Here are a few of my favorites from our 24 hours
at the hospital...
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)

2 comments:
She's beyond perfect! I love all of these photos :) xoxo
I loved the pictures of Forde's future girlfriend, especially the ones of her first bath. So precious :)
Post a Comment